Tuesday 1 January 2013

And So I'm Back ... From Outer Space ...


Happy New Year to one and all.  So yes, I am back from the back of beyond and I resolve to keep this blog updated on a regular basis.  Recently I have been reading back over my old posts and a pang of nostalgia has set in.  I had really forgotten how much I used to enjoy updating the blog and having nearly completed my first year of running it's great to be able to look back and see how I progressed from literally nothing, to running for half an hour non-stop (which was a terrific milestone at the time) to now not even thinking about going out for a 20 mile run on a Saturday and a 15 mile on a Sunday.  My average weekly running mileage is now between 40-50 miles spead over five runs.  I love everything about running: I love setting off and exploring new routes; I love the feeling of wind and rain (which, given the recent weather, is probably just as well); I love the solitude of a long, easy run of a weekend; I love lusting over running gear; I love hunting for races; I love planning which races I will be doing.  It's pretty much all I now think about which is a bit sad I know, but it's better than hankering after crack cocaine or the like. I have some goals for 2013 which I would like to share with you all:
 
10 aims for 2013  
 
1) To run 2013 miles in 2013 - that's an average of just under 39 miles per week so a realistic target I feel
2) Compete in my first ultra marathon - currently scheduled for 7th April (35 miles) unless I can find a local event in March
3) Compete in at least one 50-mile ultra marathon - ideally I would like to aim for a longer distance but family commitments mean that training for longer ultras is not currently feasible
4) Compete in at least one organised running event per month - ideally ultra distance but happy to compete in all distances if I find the race excites me
5) To lose a stone to get down to a running weight of 9 stone which hopefully will help with the longer distances
6) To remain injury free - so far I have been incredibly fortunate and not suffered from any problems with my running and hopefully I will continue to be so lucky.  There is a saying in running circles that you are either "recovering from an injury, injured or about to get an injury"
7) To update my blog a minimum of twice a week (ideally more often, but I'm trying to be realistic here)
8) To achieve the 100-push ups challenge (started twice, never completed)
9) To go to the gym a minimum of twice a week to work on core and upper body strength - running is great for the legs but my middle bit is still a bit wobbly and I would like to reduce the bingo wings to cut down on wind resistance!
10) To finish decorating the downstairs of our new house (thought I ought to have one aim that didn't involve running or fitness) 
And there we have it for now, I have lots more to tell you all about but that will come in future posts.  I am now off to the Sports Direct website as they have a great sale on at the moment and today they are also offering free delivery so I feel the need to splash some Christmas cash.  TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment