Thursday 9 February 2012

In The Club

Nah, not 'that' club, but the Calne Running Club.  I was very brave and took myself off to the club tonight and really pleased that I did.  Not many runners but all seemed very friendly.  Tonight is their effort night, so it consists of interval training which I wasn't expecting.  Anyway, 2 x 800m, 2 x 600m and 4 x 400m later I was surrounded by a glow of satisfaction for a job well done.  The idea is to run the given distances as fast as possible and the recovery periods reduced from 1 minute 30 seconds down to 40 seconds between the 400 metres.  It was certainly hard going and it made me appreciate how comparatively slowly I normally run.  Tonight I averaged 7:30 minutes/miles so considerably faster and boy did I know it .... I was willing the 400m runs to be over.  However, I made it and at no point did I feel like coming back to a walk so all good.  The chairman Tony remarked that I had a very good running style (apparently I carry my arms nice and low) and that for a 5-week beginner I did really well so that was a boost to the old ego (I'm hoping he just wasn't being 'nice').  Next Thursday?  Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Melksham all day yesterday; saw many runners on my way home from work. It was -3c and horrible. They're mentalists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was naffing cold yesterday, infact we were doing the sprint intervals as it started snowing. However, there is something quite liberating about being out in that kind of weather I find.

      Delete