Friday 11 May 2012

Butlins

I have to say that this is my first experience of Bultins and, very likely, to be my last.  To be honest I didn't expect that much (we only paid £175 for a Mon-Fri break) and Butlins didn't disappoint.  The chalet was okay but not very clean; although they allow a 6 hour window between guests leaving and new guests arriving, this doesn't seem to allow them time to do more than a very cursory clean.  In fairness, the bathroom was spotless, but the rest of the rooms did leave something to be desired and my stomach did turn when I found a pair of (used) false eyelashes on the bedroom floor. 

Butlins certainly seems to cater for a very specific clientele; we stood out like a pork chop in a synagogue.  However, the boys loved it and that really is all that matters.  The staff were, on the whole, surly beyond belief and it surprised me how bad they were at interacting with the kids.  I'm not sure when clicking your fingers and going "Oi you" became a recognised way of interacting with the under 5s! 

The leisure pool probably was the highlight of the park, nice and and large with slides and a wave machine.  However, never in my life have I seen quite so many beer bellies and tattoos proudly on display. The men weren't much better either.

Glad to be home :)

2 comments: