Friday 1 February 2013

Weekend Plans

The plan for the weekend is to get the kitchen decorated; I knew decorating the dining room was a big mistake!  The trouble is once you decorate one room, it makes the rest of them look even shabbier than they did before (and believe me, some of our rooms are very shabby).  So on Sunday I’m taking me and the boys off down to my Mum’s in Devon whilst Other Half tackles the nightmare walls in the kitchen.  The kitchen is built into an extension of the house that used to be a store room or something along those lines.  Our current dining room was actually a kitchen / diner but the previous owner decided to move the kitchen into the extension which was a great idea and has made a huge difference to the house.  BUT, you think that having gone to all the trouble of moving the plumbing and gas, fitting new kitchen cupboards, installing a range, replacing the existing flat corrugated roof with a sloping tiled roof and putting down a new floor that perhaps, just perhaps, he would have hired a professional plasterer to skim the walls?  Clearly not.  Maybe he had run out of money by this point but the walls look as though they have been plastered by a hung-over monkey using the back of a teaspoon.  So Sunday will mostly be Other Half filling and sanding the walls which is why the rest of us are taking off for the day as the volume of dust this creates is unbelievable.  Unfortunately there is no door between the kitchen and dining room, the plan is to hang a curtain in the gap to try and reduce the volume of mess but dust seems to find its way around the house regardless of what steps you take.  Hopefully the kitchen will be finished by next weekend and the plan is to move on to the front room by the end of February and then, with the exception of the hallway, the whole ground floor will be decorated.  Hurrah, that means I will have achieved one of my aims for 2013 by March with any luck.     

But, where there is an upside there is a downside (karma and all that) and my plan to lose a stone is going nowhere fast.  I am really struggling to get focused and get motivated; it’s only a bloody stone for God’s sake.  So, January was ‘no alcohol’ month (successfully completed) and I am going to make February ‘no/ low carb’ month as I know that by cutting carbs out as much as possible I should lose the weight pretty easily.  To help keep me focused, I am going to go to Slimming World on Monday 25 February and I hope to be back to my target weight by then; otherwise I will have to hand over £5 for the privilege of being told I’m getting fat once more.  Once I am back to my target weight I am going to start going to Slimming World more regularly (at least monthly) as I am convinced that one of the reasons for falling off the wagon is not having to face the shame of the weekly weigh-in.  So I have an action plan in place, just have to stick to it now.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... similarly, we decorated our dining room last month.

    Also similarly, we are just planning on how to do our kitchen.

    Our lives seem to be running in parallel... sort of.

    However, I have NO intention of going running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually quite spooky.

      No intention of going running? Oh I reckon if Mrs M lines up a few more decorating jobs for you, I can see you making a dash for them thar hills!

      Delete
    2. And that's why I bought me a motorsikkle!

      Delete