Friday 3 February 2012

Friday Catch Up

Okay, so the plan didn't actually change for last night's run amazingly enough.  I kept to my goal of running the same route as Tuesday (mostly to double-check that Tuesday wasn't a fluke).  Unfortunately I managed to somehow strain the front of my right thigh during the day - I was getting up from the floor and felt my muscle pull but then didn't give it much of a thought as the pain subsided fairly quickly.  Then, about half an hour before I was due to go out I was messing around with Son 1 in the front room and managed to pull the same muscle again but this time it was proper sore.  I was so gutted, I really thought I wouldn't be able to run as it hurt to even walk.  However, I did some stretching and the pain became a bit less so thought I'd give the running a go: God, at what point did I become so addicted?!

My plan was to try and beat Tuesday's time (probably a silly plan to have with an injury) but I am glad to report that I have a new Personal Best time of .............. 35:02.  Oh yes indeedy, a whole 12 seconds faster than my last attempt.  Although happy I was (slightly) faster, I was also a bit upset as I felt that I was running quite a bit faster than on Tuesday.  However, with hindsight I do think I managed to speed up for the last third of the run but I think I must've started quite a bit slower as I was concerned about making my thigh worse.  I cannot wait to get a Garmin for my birthday as this is the sort of data it will be able to provide (and I love stats).

I also wore my heartrate monitor for the first time and that reckons I had an average heart rate of 159 bpm during the running phase which is not right bad - I am assuming that it will go down as I get fitter.

Tonight is the last night of Week 1 of my 100-pushups training.  I cannot believe how hard pushups are to do but I can definitely feel their effect especially on the muscles in my lower abdomen so hopefully they are doing some good.  Thankfully other half is finding them as hard to do as me!

2 comments:

  1. Pushups good for the lower abdomen? I thought situps were supposed to be the king of exercise for that area? Anyway. I was going to start riding again today. So it snowed. That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what's best for that area, all I know is it bloody hurts there when I do pushups! I used to ride loads up to about 15 years ago (I even used to work in an eventing yard) but then got an office job and haven't ridden since. It's something I really miss and I'm hopefully going to get back to riding once more this year when I've lost my last bit of weight so that I don't have to end up on some plodding cob!

      Delete