Sunday 11 March 2012

Time Flies Like The Wind, Fruit Flies Like Bananas

For years and years I never got that saying, I remember asking my step-dad why it flew like a banana and not, say, an apple.  They say with age comes wisdom and now I finally get it!  I can't believe I have not updated the blog since Tuesday, it has been a bit of a funny old week though.  I got a phone call from the agency on Tuesday to say that my start date for my new job was going to be delayed as I still had to go through security clearance and there was no way the results would be back within the week.  My start date is now Monday 19th March @ 9.30am so it's jolly decent of them to give me a lie-in on my first day.  I finally received the security documents via email on Thursday and, oh my God, they want to know the ins and outs of me and pretty much everyone I have ever had involvement with.  I have been through checks before, I had to be CRB checked for my role within Dorset County Council, but this is the first time that I have had to answer questions about relatives and not just myself.  And unfortunately this has added a rather complicated twist as Other Half did something rather foolish a few years ago which I have a feeling may come back and bite me on the bum.  This has taken the gloss off the new job somewhat as I am not 100% confident that I will get clearance.  What is even more concerning is that it will take approximately 20 days to go through all the checks but they are letting me start on that Monday regardless of the fact that not all the results are back so I'm now worried that having started, I may then be told I cannot continue.  It's something that is playing on my mind constantly like a broken record - I keep telling myself it will be alright but in my heart of hearts I am concerned.

Wednesday was Slimming World and this week I put half a pound on!  To be honest it wasn't unexpected as I have been a bit naughty lately (my love affair with bread is catching up with me) but I'm still a bit upset as I was really hoping to never put any weight on whilst on my weight loss journey.  Hey ho.

Anyway, moving on to things with a more positive note, I did my run on Friday this week instead of running with the Club on Thursday and today I did my long run.  Once again I did the cycle route so I could take the dog and was out the door by 8.30am expecting it to be really quiet at that time of the morning on a foggy Sunday.  How wrong I was, the bloody route was packed which meant the start was a bit hit and miss and took me a few goes to get into my stride.  However, today I felt really strong throughout the whole run, especially towards the end.  I don't know what made the difference today, whether it was the earlier time (this is the earliest I've run) or whether I am actually getting fitter, but I thought I was running strongly and I have the following results to show for it:

Distance = 5.75 miles
1st Checkpoint = 35:01 (-1:28)
2nd Checkpoint = 43:48 (-1:26)
Total Time = 53:26 (-2:46)

So, so pleased with my times and how strong I felt on the run.  Three weeks today until my first 10k race - bring it on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment