Tuesday 24 January 2012

100 Push Up Challenge

You may remember that several posts ago I mentioned I was going to undertake the 100-Push Up Challenge (http://www.hundredpushups.com/index.html), well today was Day One of the challenge.  I have made a bit of a boo boo to be honest, I thought my new 10k training plan involved a Monday run hence why I didn't start the challenge yesterday but I was wrong, Monday is actually a rest day.  Anyhooo, I thought for this week I would do the pushups on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and then revert to Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  So, having undertaken the initial test a week or so ago and discovered that I could only manage a paltry 6 pushups in one go, this was the plan for today:

Set 1: 6
Set 2: 6
Set 3: 4
Set 4: 4
Set 5: Max (at least 5)

The plan is to do each set with a 60 minute rest interval inbetween.  Having got myself psyched up I went for it ..... and managed it (although I did only manage 6 pushups as my max).  I'm quite chuffed that I got through it and so far I don't ache - bring on day two.

Today I ordered myself some running tights and a Shock Absorber bra from Amazon ... I have been running in leggings or trackie bottoms and neither of them are ideal as they both ride down and I end up with wrinkles around my knees and a distinct chance that I will show the world my nether regions.  Once I start training for my 10k I shall feel happy describing myself as a 'runner' so I feel justified in spending a bit of money on my running habit.

I also discovered park runs today .... I have seen these mentioned several times in the various running forums I inhabit but didn't realise what it was until somebody mentioned they had a website.  So, being a curious sort of person, I took a look and blow me down with a feather if I didn't discover that there's a park run less than half an hour from me every Saturday and, as an added bonus, it's where my Race for Life is in June.  I have registered myself on their website and aim to do one of the runs in a few weeks as part of my 10k training.  The runs are 5k, take place every week (with fully published results) and, even better, are completely free to enter.  I am well chuffed I discovered about them and would advise any new runner to take a gander:  http://www.parkrun.com/home.

It was nice to have a rest day from running today although I am itching to get out there again to prove that yesterday's run was not a fluke!  Wonder what tomorrow's run will be?

No comments:

Post a Comment