Tuesday 24 January 2012

I Can't Get The Smile Off My Face

As the title of the post says, I really can't take the smile off my face following last night's run.  The running plan was as follows:

Day 17: Run 5 minutes, walk 1 minute x 4

I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about the run all day, especially following on from the previous run where I struggled running two minutes at a time towards the end.  Plus, this was the longest running interval so far.

Anyway, I set off as positive as I could ...... I went to look at a possible new running area (around a large recreational field) however there was no lighting and with no moon last night, the field was pitch black.  So, I decided to do a road run instead .... this was my first road run since probably Day 2 or so.  I set the five minute timer, put the thing in my pocket so I could not be tempted to look at it, and set off ... and kept on going!  I settled into a lovely rhythm virtually from the first step whereas it usually takes me a few minutes to find my mojo.  I managed to keep the rhythm up / down the kerbs, round corners etc and was so surprised when the timer went off.  The following running interval involved a bit of an uphill section (which I had forgotten about when I planned the run in my head) and my heart sank a bit when I realised, however I managed to power up it without any significant change to stride / speed.  The third interval again had several small hills both up and down and I really tried hard to concentrate on my stride.  By this point I was nearly home I'd covered so much distance so another quick detour gave me time to get interval four in - this was pretty much flat but once again I was so surprised when the five minute timer sounded.  This is the first run where I haven't been willing the time to end!  I really felt I could've carried on going and I was tempted to, but decided I really need to stick to the plan as I don't know what the next few days has to offer (apart from today which I know is a rest day)

So what made such a difference last night?  Well, I really wish I knew as I've been struggling lately and on previous runs if I had to do so much as a slight slope my stride and breathing went all over the place.  Something just seem to 'click' last night - perhaps it was because I was on the road, perhaps because the timer was in my pocket, perhaps it was the greater running intervals (I do actually struggle more when the run / walk intervals are shorter) or maybe just because I tried hard to focus on my stride and breathing, but whatever it was I hope it doesn't leave me for my next run. 

When I got home I mapped my run and I covered 2.5 miles so I'm well chuffed .... I was beginning to get quite worried about starting my 10k training as Day 1 is two 15 minute running intervals with a one minute walk interval inbetween and I didn't think I would be ready for this length of run in time (I start my training the first week in February) but I am now much more positive that I can do it. 

Isn't it amazing how fantastic you feel after a good run? 

No comments:

Post a Comment