Friday 20 January 2012

One Step, Two Step, Three Step, Four ...

Well today's run was a repeat of Day 11 - to recap:

Day 14: Run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute x 5

I can honestly say today was the best run of the training so far .... I managed to get into a really nice rhythm from the word go and at no point did my legs feel heavy and lead like. I ran a new track today, a disused railway line which is very popular with walkers, runners and cyclists alike (although being a Friday afternoon I hardly saw anyone else) so it's hard to judge whether I was covering more ground in my 3 minutes than on Day 11, but I would like to think that I was as my rhythm was so much better and I could feel myself speeding up gradually as the time ticked by. However, having said that, I still have all the speed of an arthritic snail but at least I can keep going for a bit longer than before.

I've been thinking a lot about my training (I use it as a distraction when running) and I know the 10k training plan in 10 weeks is not going to be easy so I need to focus all my energy on it therefore I have decided to drop Zumba for the time being. Although it is fun, I don't feel it is contributing to my overall fitness and in all honesty I don't give it my all after having hurt my hip badly on my first lesson. I have also been thinking about my rest days and what would be best for cross training to help me get my fitness levels up as quickly as possible ..... recommended is swimming (no good as I can't swim), cycling (happy to do this outside when the weather warms up but I detest exercise bikes with a passion), walking (do lots of this already with the dog), yoga (errr, no) and rowing. Having discounted most of the recommendations I am going to go with the rowing option .... it was always my favourite cardiovascular machine when I used to go to the gym and second-hand machines are not too expensive .... watch out eBay, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment